HOME ABOUT RECIPES DIY TRAVEL

diy: tea & teabags


And some more tea-time! It's November and we should start talking about Christmas presents. If you like to give simple, homemade gifts, this might be an option. I made my own tea combinations (without artificial flavours) and teabags, too.
Let's start with the tea:


Step 1: chose a base. I decided to use rooibos tea this time because it's rather mild and goes well with nearly all flavours.
Step 2: chose flavours. I made the following three mixes:

lavender & jasmin
I pick and dry my own lavender every summer and use it in icecream, 
in my closet, for baking etc. the jasmin was already a 
tea I got as a sample from the teashop

apple & cinnamon
I used dried apple chips with no added sugar and a tiny piece of cinnamon stick, 
all chopped up to fit a teabag

cranberry & marzipan
this was a bit tricky as both ingredients don't really dry out completely, 
they stay sticky and moist and should be consumed within 
2-3 weeks as they'll turn bad quickly

Step 3: mix well! I used about the same amount of tea & flavour combination but it would probably be wiser to use less tea and more flavour combination as  rooibos tea is very aromatic.
Now you have your own, homemade tea - fill it in a nice little box and enjoy!
...
Or you could make some teabags. Because now you're in the crafting mood anyway, aren't you?


I used tea filters meant for teapots because I had them at home but a regular coffee filter or even very thin, undyed fabric works too. Cut out a rectangular shape about 1cm wider and 2 cm higher than a teabag would be, turn the edges and sew them together on the sides. I used my sewing machine with a 60-needle and sewed very slow to not rip the thin paper. For a pop of colour you could use naturally dyed thread (or even dye it yourself with beet juice for example).
Then use a spoon to fill the teabags!


Now just fold over the edge, roll it up once and using a 15cm embroidery thread and an embroidery needle secure the edge. Make your own little tag out of whatever you have at hand (I used an index card and washi tape) or print one with a personal message, a quote or a picture. Or little christmas-tree shapes, that would be funny!


And you're done!

I'm already thinking about other combinations to try, I'd love to make my own ginger-lemon green tea next time, orange-clove would also be a very nice winter-flavour or aniseed for a more spicy tea.


Kommentare:

  1. Ich finde deinen Blog super schön! Das Layout, die Bilder, die Postideen, der Hammer! Und ich mag deinen Blognamen sehr, ich könnte bestimmt auch so heißen. Früher hatte ich so viele "berry" Namen in allen sozialen Netzwerken und Plattformen und bin jetzt bei "Apfel" gelandet... :) Haha. Und danke für deinen lieben Kommentar, IKEA muss wirklich immer wieder sein :)
    Liebste Grüße
    Natalia

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Oh wie lieb, vielen vielen Dank, Natalia! Ich bin ein riesen Fan von deinen Fotos, deswegen ist so ein Kompliment gleich doppelt toll wenn es von jemandem mit so viel Talent kommt :)
      Äpfel und Beeren sind ja auch was Feines, ich hab mich wegen meiner Tattoos so genannt, Früchte sind einfach ein großer Teil meines Lebens :D
      Ich wünsch dir einen wunderschönen Tag!
      Lisa

      Löschen
  2. how cool, that is an amazing idea ! keeping it up my sleeve for Christmas ;)

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. It was so easy and fast, I think I will give everyone tea for christmas this year :D

      Löschen
  3. That's a great idea! I never thought of mixing my own tea and those little tea lables are so cute! Might try this for a few christmas gifts, thank you for sharing!

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. I got the idea when I bought cherry - marzipan tea and was so disappointed by it's poor flavour, it tastes a lot more natural when you simply mix in the actual ingredients into your favourite tea.

      Löschen
  4. Oh my gosh, you're a genius! I've been dying to do this for so long but you've made it look so simple and stylish.

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Ahh Anjelica, it's you! How are you?
      Thank you so much :)

      Löschen
  5. What a great idea! I've never thought about making my own tea before! But it sounds pretty awesome :)

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Give it a try,you'l feel so accomplished with your first sip of own tea :)

      Löschen
  6. Yes! Thank you for sharing this! Im so picky about tea, I never even thought about trying to do this myself.

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. I'm such a tea snob, too, better do it myself than complain about yet another tea that was just too artificial/bland/sweet/bitter etc :D

      Löschen
  7. Holy moly talk about yummy sounding! I'm going to have to give this a try for myself and maybe some holiday gifts this year!

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Yes, try it! nothing better than leaning back and sip a nice cup of selfmade tea.

      Löschen
  8. this is a neat idea, i like how pretty the tea bags turned out at the end!

    AntwortenLöschen
  9. Was für eine tolle Idee, finde deinen Blog auch sehr hübsch.
    Deshalb folge ich dir jetzt mal über GFC
    Alles liebe
    Michelle von s-beautiful-fairy.blogspot.de

    AntwortenLöschen

LinkWithin