I talked about these chairs in my last currently post. Those of you who can't remember or are too lazy to check the link, here's a short summary of what these chairs mean to me: They are perfect. Not only are they beautiful, comfortable and HUGE, they were also free because we found them in the garbage!
Now as much as I loved them just the way they were, I felt they could be even more beautiful, so I bought some primer and paint...
I started with taking off as much of the original layer of paint as possible, it was already peeling so I just used a regular butter knife (yeah, I know, I'm clearly a professional). My patience was wearing very thin on this task so I took off the obvious peeling part, smoothed out the edges and went on with priming it.
There will come a day, when I'll regret not sandpapering it properly, but for now it worked just fine.
What is important, though, is to make sure the primer goes on opaque, especially when dealing with a dark surface and even more so when you want to paint it a light color. Here's what it should look like:
This takes a lot of time. And maybe another layer just to be certain. Afterwards it should dry for about 12 hours.
Once this is done, the fun part starts: painting it the color you chose! Actually seeing the progress and how great it turns out gave my motivation a huge boost.
Halfway through painting, it started raining so it took me two whole days to actually finish the chairs but I could not be happier with them. Just look how bright and happy they are now!
I can't believe someone put them in the trash.
Of course I still want to do something about these pillows but as mentioned before, I don't have a sewing machine right now and we are moving back to Germany this Sunday (ohmy). That is something I will figure out over the next six months :)