HOME ABOUT RECIPES DIY TRAVEL

the F-word.


I was a naive piece of poop in the past. I was in denial about all the sexism, racism and ableism that was going on everywhere around me. I was blind. Even blind to all the privilege I have.
This has changed quite a lot over the past years thanks to the internet and some really smart friends I have.

Today I read an article on how feminists should stop being so angry. On how they achieved most of their goals anyway and how their frustration just drives potential male supporters away. That feminists should start be cooler and let equality institute itself in society.
Of course this was written by a white male.
 I almost felt pitty for that poor soul, but guess what? It made me even more angry.
And I should be very angry.

I need feminism because men still seem to think they have a right to talk about how I should feel and behave.

I need feminism because I acknowledge that people are different from each other in culture, religion, ethnicity, sexuality, gender, class, size and many other things, but they should be treated equally.

I need feminism because equality will not come without fighting for it.

The past few days have been a poop-parade of ignorance in my life so I had to rant. I am far from eloquent or well-informed enough to write about the matter in adequate fashion.
 However there are many fantastic, eloquent people who write about the subject and really make you think and reconsider so please, if you havent already, inform yourself!
Here are some links I found very helpful.

Who needs feminism? An organization about letting people define feminism for themselves

Male privilege including a checklist, written by a man! And it's good!

The white privilege checklist the article above refers to, a fantastic read!

How to be an ally to a marginalized group of people when you are privileged

A jezabel article on why such a thing as "misandry" doesn't exist

The Miss Representation trailer - how women are portrayed in today's media



Newest Miss Representation Trailer (2011 Sundance Film Festival Official Selection) from Miss Representation on Vimeo.

And last but not least a video about gender equality and gender roles with a focus on masculinity.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

LinkWithin